Sunday, November 10, 2013

Taquitos. It's what's for dinner.

Ten days ago I decided I wouldn't grocery shop until I consumed everything edible in my apartment.

Tonight I ate four frozen taquitos that I found hidden in the back of my freezer. After consuming them I decided that labeling them "edible" is actually debatable. I don't know how they got there, because I certainly did not purchase them. I ate about four bites of each (because I thought the others would be better..??) and then tossed em. I felt bad wasting them, but not that bad, because if I donated them I'd be concerned for the health of others. Can you get botulism poisoning from freezer burn? Because in my head that's a thing.

Enough about my sort of dinner.

Not spending money is really hard. The most difficult part is my social life. If it were an option, I'd stay inside and just not talk to anyone for a month to avoid the awkward "I'm not spending money" thing. I'd also stay inside for a month because I'm a hermit....a fake extrovert if you will. For all of you who think I love socializing...I don't. I hate it. You're welcome. I'm a one-on-one person. Big groups make me sweaty and now that I'm not buying deodorant, I'm really f*cked. (Disclaimer: I love the F word. I know it's not lady like, but I truly feel that it helps with emphasis. My mom hates it. I think most moms do. Maybe when I'm a mom I'll hate it, too. Until then, I'll carry on as I am.)

Speaking of disclaimer(s), the deodorant thing is a joke. I never buy or wear deodorant. I feel like all the chemicals in it will cause armpit cancer. Which is funny, because if someone gives me enough Budweiser and then a cigarette, I'll probably smoke it.

It's taken me a long time to get to the confession/point of this blog post:

I'VE SPENT SOME MONEY THIS MONTH.

Things I spent money on: drugs (at the pharmacy - totally legit...also debatable like the taquitos being edible), toilet paper, cat food, cat litter, dish soap, laundry detergent and toothpaste. Oh! Also, gas. Today I spent $5 on 4 tacos with a friend and he bought beers - it was a prrrretty good trade, I'd say.

BUT here's the good news! I sold some stuff on Craigslist for $40.00 and now I've made about $78.00 this month from selling stuff....so I like to think that I haven't actually spent any of my paycheck. I've spent hard earned money that I've made wheelin and dealin.

In general I have been happier and less anxious this month. I think it's because I have no worries about finances, because I now have plenty of money to put toward debt and savings!

For fun I've gone to some of my favorite stores without my wallet. It's almost just as fun as actually buying things. (Lies.) Today I went to fun thriftshops in St. Johns, but didn't actually buy anything.

I'm a third of the way through my intense spending freeze and I am looking forward to the next 13 months of spending less. I figure 1 small chapter of my life spent being a cheap skate will be worth it when I can spend the rest of my life not being tied down by debt.

And, just to be clear:


Now, go pack your lunch and save yourself some money. Also, stop giving into the red cups. They're the devil. Okay, no they're not...they're the best thing ever and every time I see a happy girl walk by me with a red cup I secretly want to punch her in the face and steal her coffee. Also, her purse. 

3 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh. Especially the part about loving the f-word. I totally love the f-word, and I shouldn't, and my mom hates it... but I do. #ohwell

    Keep posting. I'm loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You are an inspiration to us all, many of us have these sentiments but you're the only one brave enough to share; please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Botulism. ....lol I love that word...

    ReplyDelete